Interested in interning at IEX, but don’t know how? We’ve put together a guide that explains the application process, step-by-step.
Internships are great opportunities for college students and graduate students to grow their skills, develop connections, and strengthen their resumes. At IEX, we’re committed to providing an experience that fulfills the goals of interns that work with us. The application and interview process are ways for applicants to show their skills as well as their unique personalities.
Step One – Have a completed resume
Make sure that your resume is up to date and grammatically correct. Though a finance background is helpful, it's not required. Use your previous work experiences and achievements to show who you are as a candidate.
Step Two– Do your research
Take the time to research IEX’s history, core values, and current events. We appreciate applicants who demonstrate a solid understanding of our company’s story and products. Check out Michael Lewis’ best-selling book Flash Boys to learn about the story of our founding.
Step Three– Submit your application
Visit our careers website to check for open intern positions. To apply, submit your contact information, completed resume, and answer our supplementary questions to the best of your ability. A cover letter and a letter of recommendation are optional, but not required.
Step Four – Get ready for the interview
If your application is selected and a recruiter reaches out to you, give yourself time to prepare for the interview process. Our interviews are a mixture of in-person and virtual meetings; however, we may prefer to host onsite interviews for local applicants. Generally, here’s what to expect….
• 3-4 rounds of interviews:
• Pre-screening with the internship recruiter
• Phone interview with a hiring manager
• Team interview
• Zoom interview with a hiring manager
Tips for a Successful Application and Interview
• Show that you are genuinely interested in the company and motivated for your role. Do your homework ahead of time to understand what IEX does, its products, ethos, and how your skillset could add value to the company.
• Research who you will be speaking with during your interviews. Familiarizing yourself with interviewers beforehand will give you the opportunity to ask questions that demonstrate your knowledge of their professional background.
• Be prepared to speak about both your resume and experiences that are not listed on your resume. Don’t be afraid to be yourself!
• If you can, choose the option of interviewing onsite to get a look and feel of our office and culture.
To learn more about our internship program, visit our careers page.
Tess Abraham attends Barnard College of Columbia University and was a Summer 2023 intern at IEX in the Marketing and Communications department.